21 January 2012

My Top 4 Resources for Modest Clothes

Asalaamu 'aleykom ya binaat! InshAllah all is well...

Today I am posting about online resources that every muslimah can use when she's unable to find suitable clothes in the local shops. I have lived in both extremes: where there is a large Islamic community and modest clothes are available every where, but allso where the Islamic community is relatively nonexistent and the majority of my wardrobe was gathered from the maternity section of major department stores.

One of my biggest struggles at university is finding appropriate clothes that I can actually afford. So many times I find myself in a shop that has cute outfits, yet for some reason they barely cover my stomach. When I eventually find my way into the winter rack, I can usually find a few modest things that I like. Yet, a lot of stores in the downtown area near my university are small boutiques that argue quality over quantity and the prices are steep. Now don't get me wrong, I love well-made things and I would be willing to spend if it was worth it. But every time I find myself in this position, I allways wonder if I could find it cheaper somewhere else...so here is a compilation of the places that I usually look!

InshAllah this may be of help to sisters who find themselves in a similar situation! Comment and let me know what you think, or link to any websites you might recommend!

ma3salaama,
muslimah on the moon <3

1. eBay : eBay is one of my top resources, it compiles products offered from all kinds of people and all kinds of places. It's kind of like an online auction market where you can find allmost anything. My strategy is to look here for scarves and cardigans that are of a name brand where I allready know what my size is. I have contemplated buying 3abayaat, has any one bought some from this website?

On eBay, there are literally millions of people trying to sell their wares. Some items are handmade, some are straight from top department stores, but as long as you know what your looking for, it's usually a cinch. The prices can be low or high, it depends on the seller and quality of product. But I can usually say with certainty that most clothes on this site are priced much lower then they are in the store! The only downside to eBay is that some times you have to sift through a lot of bad stuff before you find the gem.


2. Etsy : To be honest, I have never actually tried this site myself, but I have heard great things about it. I plan on checking it out very soon and I will relay my results when I decide! If any one has tried Etsy or has opinions about it, be sure to comment because I am very curious.






3. Topshop, Forever 21, H&M : These are the stores that are geared towards teens and young women for the most part. The clothes aren't allways the best quality, but the prices are usually very affordable. A lot of times, you have to dig through the racks and find the items that are of decent quality, but the low prices make these stores very tempting! Often times I buy tank tops, undershirts and camis here because they are very inexpensive and nobody sees them, so they don't have to be great quality.



express.com

4. Express : I order my clothes from this store online. I have purchased a lot of their 'dresses,' which are usually short enough that I wear them as a shirt with a maxi skirt or with loose pants. Many of their dresses are short sleeved and I like to wear a long-sleeve of a different colour underneath and then coordinate my hijab. My absolute favorite item from this store, however, is their cotton maxi skirt with the a fold-over top.  I cannot stress how much these skirts have become a staple in my closet!

4 comments:

  1. Great post!
    Ebay-I have bought so many key wardrobe pieces from there (but with a lot of mistakes too). I tend to shop more in the maternity section because it’s less competitive and I love the longer lengths.
    Etsy-Its my baby, I am definetly an etsy shopper. I highly recommend you create an account, but be careful because it’s extremely addictive. I buy supplies and jewelry from there. I also did buy a custom made midi dress last winter which I still receive complements on. I also used to sell on there. One thing to remember you may more than likely pay higher prices on items because of the quality and handmade nature.
    As for Express- Their clothes fit me really well, I tend to not leave disappointed whenever I go there. I love their dresses which have a nice length too.
    http://furiouslyfabmuslima.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words! :) I know exactly how you feel about ebay, I have learned a lot from shopping there...I will defanitely look into Etsy, so many people continue to recommend it to me. I do not mind saving up money to pay a higher price if the item is going to last me a long time and is well made :)

      if you are interested in express, you should check out their website right now because skirts are 1/2 off! I just bought two more maxi skirts, one chiffon blue and one black cotton...here's the link if your interested <3

      http://www.express.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&x=0&y=0&keyword=maxi+skirt

      Delete
  2. Salam sis,
    Great post. I love to shop at all of the above mentioned stores. Online shopping is the only way us Aussie fashion lovers can get our hands on many of the latest trends.

    By the way CONGRATES because your the second prize winner for my blog giveaway. I cant seem to find an email address on here. Please email me your details to trendymelbourne@gmail.com so I can send you gift.
    jazaki AllahKhair.
    Much love,
    Trendy Melbourne xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wa asalaam 3alayk kamen! I know exactly how you feel and I truly have become addicted to shopping online LOL :) And thank you so much for the giveaway, I didn't think I had a chance at winning...but I will email you from my address right now! Ameen, wa iyaaki ya 7abibte :)

      muslimahonthemoon.blogspot.com

      Delete

Let me know what your opinions are, all feedback is apreciated!
<3 muslimah on the moon